Friday, Holly declared, “I have arrived! I am grabbing my coach purse, getting in my Lexus, and heading to the Plastic Surgeon.” Of course, it was a fake coach purse, Jamie’s mom’s 10 year old Lexus she was borrowing, and she was going to the Plastic Surgeon for reconstruction, but still it gave us a good laugh.
We have found a great plastic surgeon out of one of the ones our breast surgeon recommended. We’ve met with her twice, and she has taken a total of two hours to teach us about all the options and answer all our questions.
The problem is there are a lot of options. I won’t try to summarize them here, but this website does a great job of describing them all in detail.
We are currently in the process of narrowing down the options, then adding in new ones, then narrowing, etc, etc. The doctor graciously offered to contact patients who had the procedures we are considering to find out if we could call them with questions. So far, Holly has talked to three of them, including one who was in the office when we were there last.
What we do know (as much as we know anything):
- The mastectomy and reconstruction will happen in one big surgery that will take place at Baylor Regional Medical Center of Plano. It will take from 4-10 hours depending on the option we choose.
- The surgery will not happen this week or next (plastic surgeon is out of town), at the earliest it will probably be the week after Labor Day.
- The recovery time will be something like 6 weeks to get Holly back to something resembling 100%.
Here’s how you can pray for us:
- With thanks that God has given us excellent, compassionate surgeons.
- That we would be able to see through various kinds of fear and find God’s best in this. (fear of pain, of foreign implants, of not being available be available for our kids during long recovery, of having to redo things later — lots of scary stuff in each option)
- That our faith would deepen to in new and fresh ways we would know that God is actively working for our good in all this.
Thanks to all of you for how loved you’ve made us feel us feel through this all.